Re: dial on demand

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles A. Crayne" <ccrayne@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 6:22 AM
Subject: Re: dial on demand

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:05:00 +0100
> "Bryan Hepworth" <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> :I used to do dial
> :on demand until a satellite dish arrived in february!
>
> I am currently looking at satellite alternatives. Would you mind letting
me
> know what you chose, and what your experiences were?
>
> -- Chuck

Chuck

We didn't have any alternatives as ADSL was not available at the local
telephone exchange. Note the .co.uk in the address!

So we stuck a satellite dish on the end of the warehouse c/o aramiska. It
certainly helped out with the increasing internet and mail activity. We have
had odd foibles with the satellite delay though, britishairways.com being a
notable example of going 'round in circles yet working OK at home on a
British Telecom ADSL landline. Apparently due to the time lag of beaming it
up and back down again. So for the most part it's fine but the home
connection is a lot cheaper and I'd have to say quicker than the work one on
a consumer ADSL connection. adslguide.org.uk lists the figures and it's
about £30 a month instead of a few hundred. Like I said we didn't have a
choice and it was the only option open to us.

HTH

Bryan