Re: Blaster Worm and Firewall Rules

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 21:11, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> (this is an inbound rule, but I don't think it takes much to turn it
> into an outbound rule)

Actually, if you have any windows machines at all on your network
inside, it is *essential* to block outbound traffic as well.  This
protects others from your machines, as well as protecting your users
from exploits in internet explorer that use UNC paths instead of URLS to
trick windows into transmitting the user's name and password to a
foreign host, which netbios will blindly do.  All the foreign server has
to do is force plain text passwords and then he as a good record of
passwords from inside your network.  All this from a url that's really a
unc sent in an html e-mail message.  All of the ports in question, due
to the inherent insecurity in the netbios protocol, should be blocked in
and out of the firewall, just like you do for Sun RPC and NFS.

Michael

--
Michael Torrie <torriem@xxxxxxxxxxxx>