Re: Multiple network configurations

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 01:06, Ossama Khayaat wrote:
> I'm using RH9 on my laptop. I'm having a problem that every time that I take it somewhere, I have to change the configuration of the NIC to be able to connect to the network.
> Is there a way I can be able to save the configurations so that I can simply switch between them when ever I need?

The official way to support multiple network configurations is to use
redhat-config-network (its menu is System Preferences->Network) to
create separate profiles (there's online help on how to do this).  Then,
clone your grub (or other boot utility) entry for each profile and
specify a different "netprofile=<profile_name>", such as:

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-19.9) Home
  root (hd0,5)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-19.9 ro root=LABEL=/ netprofile=home
  initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-19.9.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-19.9) Work
  root (hd0,5)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-19.9 ro root=LABEL=/ netprofile=work
  initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-19.9.img

The netprofile environment variable is detected by /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit,
which calls "redhat-config-network-cmd --profile" to make the switch.

NOTE:  this works great if your ethernet devices don't move around
depending on where you run your laptop.  Because my docking station has
a built-in ethernet card, redhat-config-network-cmd's ethernet probe
causes its driver to get loaded first.  This bumps my built-in wireless
card from eth0 to eth1 when docked, which conflicts with the
/etc/modules.conf alias redhat-config-network set up.

I therefore can't use netprofile, and wrote a similar profile switcher
which doesn't probe.

Tom