Re: name based virtual hosting, apache

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 15:03, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Once upon a time at band camp Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:25 AM/PM, Iain Buchanan
> wrote:
> > Name based virtual hosting seems to be slightly different between redhat
> > 8.0 (httpd-2.0.40-11.5) and redhat 9 (httpd-2.0.40-21.3).
> >
> > I'm trying to serve various domains, - the dns for each points to the
> > one ip address.  The first one in my httpd.conf file is intended to be
> > the default, as per the documentation, but it seems that all requests to
> > any virtual hosts are served by the first one.
>
> what you need to do is put
> NameVirtualHost 10.10.10.10
>
> <virtualHost 10.10.10.10>
>
> </Virtualhost>
>
> from what i have experienced with virtual hosts is that you need to tell it
> what ips to listen to  for some reason virtual hosting weather name based or
> or ip based needs to know what ips to listen to

really? then I get the error

[error] VirtualHost 172.16.0.52:0 --
mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not
supported,
proceeding with undefined results

when I try and restart apache.  I don't think that is the way to go
>From http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html:

"In the normal case where any and all IP addresses on the server should
be used, you can use * as the argument to NameVirtualHost..."
and their example:

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName www.domain.tld