Re: Problem in Connecting to Internet:Modem Connection

On Monday 04 August 2003 17:07, Sh@xxx wrote:
> Hi people,
> I am using  Red Hat 9 on my Dell Latitude Laptop.
> I wish to connect to Internet using a Dial Up
> Connection--Modem and Telephone Line.
> I open
> System tools--Internet Configuration Wizard .In the
> Devices tab, I select a Modem Connection.
> Now, it does not detect my Modem which is a Xircom
> Ethernet Card + 56 K Modem.
> After I click on Modem Connection, it comes to
> Provider Name. Since I am in India and this
> does not has any service provider in the list, i do it
> manually.
>
> I write the following in :
>
> prefix-> 91
> area code->05944
> number->172233 (This is the number to dial. I connect
> easily using the same configuration in Windows 2K)
>
> Now, it shows me that it has created a connection with
> a Generic Modem. I am surprised it
> did not probe my modem.
>
> After  click finish for the changes to take place, it
> tries to connect, but is not able to--I do hear the
> sound when it tries to connect.
> I have tried so many, so many times, but no use.
>
> I just thought  to put my problem here to hear what my
> peers has to say on this.

Recurring problem; you have a winmodem.  You might find a linmodem driver to
make it work, but my advice is to trade that one for a goat and shoot the
goat, then buy a real modem.

That's what I did and it's been completely trouble free.

Joebewan