Re: Connecting to http://ftp.... isn't working

As far as I can see, the ADSL modem is not built-in. And I also
don't see how the router would learn about provider's DNS servers.
But maybe I misunderstand the scenario in this thread.

I might be guilty of misunderstanding as well. Routers can learn about the providers DNS servers -- mine does, it's a Netgear thingy and it does DSL modem, firewall (NAT mainly), DHCP (which I turned off) and caching DNS.

It's off topic and anecdotal, but modems that require the host OS to set everything up, usually USB ones, seems to cause a lot of trouble compared to their slightly more expensive brethen that just provide an RJ45 and a web interface for configuration.

jch