Re: X Memory usage

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 13:52, Price Technology wrote:
> [joebewan@xxxxx joebewan]$ free
> Mem:        384556     367488      17068          0      54820     217252
> -/+ buffers/cache:      95416     289140
> Swap:       522104      26388     495716
>
> Is that what you're looking for ??

Yep.  Essentially (if I read it right), you have 289 MB of your ram
free, so really your programs are only consuming a small percentage of
your ram.  Linux uses free ram for buffers and caching, for performance
increases.  The swap is often high because Linux aggressively uses swap,
even when there's plenty of ram.  Basically it works on the theory of a
working set.  The theory is that programs only frequently use a small
number of the memory pages that they have allocated, so we can swap the
rest out, leaving more room for buffers, cache, and other programs.

Most linux users do misread their memory usage statistics at first.  As
long as your swap isn't too full, then you're fine.

The performance issues that you notice are related to 2 things.  A lot
of it has to do with the X server and it's asynchronous nature.  This
means that the redraws are often queued up and don't happen
instantaneously.  The other problem is that X is single-threaded (which
isn't the problem in itself), which, due to the way the linux scheduler
works, causes the kernel to schedule it in such a way that it appears to
stutter (causes music to skip, etc).  If you try the 2.6 test2 kernel, I
think  you'll find your X11 applications appear to be much smoother and
faster.  Also X11 shouldn't cause other applications to stall like xmms.

Michael

--
Michael Torrie <torriem@xxxxxxxxxxxx>