Re: adding a monitor to a laptop

On Saturday 02 August 2003 13:05, Globe Trotter wrote:
> > > my man xrandr is empty:-( i had tried that before. how do i change
the
> > refresh
> > > rate?
> >

> > On my RH 9 system:
> >
> > rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/man/man1/xrandr.1x.gz
> >
> > returns:
> >
> > XFree86-4.3.0-2
> >
> > Are you certain you typed: "man xrandr" (w/o the quotes) at a shell
> > prompt? If so, and there's nothing there, it looks like your X
> > installation is messed up.
> >
> > In any case, I was suggesting you try: "xrandr -s 2"
> >
> > I'm not certain if there is a way to change the refresh rate short
of
> > hand editing you XF86Config file. Maybe someone else knows about
this.

> > Dave
> >

> [11:21am] triveni:~> rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/man/man1/xrandr.1x.gz
> XFree86-4.3.0-2
>
> yes i did. how do i  figure out whether my x is installed correctly --
> everything seems to be fine otherwise....

Then "man xrandr" should give you information on using xrandr. I was
suggesting your X installation was messed up because you didn't appear
to have the xrandr man page, but clearly, you do.

Regarding your off list email (please keep everything on the list),
most laptops have a configuration setting for the VGA out port to
work. For example, on mine, I believe pressing function F8 switches
between laptop display only, external CRT only, laptop and external
CRT. There may also be a bias setting.

Dave