help, I hosed my PAM setup (I think)

now Im unable to login with my regular username, or to su - to it

[root@xxxxxxx pam.d]# su - jimc
Segmentation fault
[root@xxxxxxx pam.d]# su jimc
Segmentation fault
[root@xxxxxxx pam.d]#

the segfault happens when su-ing from joe to bob,

Also - on the X session still running there, where previously opened
'joeuser' windows are present, the bash prompt changed to
"[I have no name!@xxxxxxx]",  and xterm title now shows 500, my userid
from  /etc/passwd (which is dated 4/13, so presumably un-mangled).

I havent yet tried a reboot to see if this is transient, despite my ability to
ssh into the box (as root only).

I was messing around with SAMBA,  trying to get it to accept password
entered at smbclient's prompt.

after adding '-d 2' to /etc/sysconfig/samba: SMBDOPTIONS,
I determined I had a missing smbpasswd file, so I made one:

mksmbpasswd.sh < /etc/passwd > /etc/samba/smbpasswd.
log showed progress, file found, but passwd not accepted.

then things went astray: I wasnt getting further, so I checked pam;

rpm -V pam showed a change:

rpm -V pam
.......T c /etc/pam.d/other
S.5....T c /etc/pam.d/system-auth
.......T c /etc/security/access.conf

so I forced a reinstall (several times) - I eventually noticed the system-auth.rpmnew,
but only after I renamed the modded file, so Im not sure of the order or importance
of my changes.

BTW - is it normal/expected that an 'rpm -i --force $pkg' would fail to overwrite
modified files ?

Also, Im seeing unexpected diffs between old file, and new - it

[root@xxxxxxx pam.d]# diff system-auth system-auth-hold
4,6c4,6
< auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
< auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
< auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so
---
> auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
> auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
> auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so
8c8

This looks suspicious; like an install-script substitution didnt happen.

CAN ANYONE SHED ANY LIGHT ON THIS ?

even WAGs are encouraged.

-jimc