Re: Odd firewall request

Andrew Robinson wrote:
Could someone instruct me on how to configure iptables to allow X-Window
traffic?

OK, it's an odd request. The reason is this. I have a copy of MacX.
That's mac-ex, as in X-Windows. It's an X-Windows client for Macintosh
sold by Apple until about 1998 or so. I'd like to be able to use my Umax
Mac-clone to access my Red Hat box.

I'm assuming you mean that MacX is an X Windows server, allowing you to display X applications on your Mac desktop.

If that's the case, then you probably don't need to modify your firewall settings at all. You need to ssh from your Mac to your Linux machine (find one of the many free software applications for this), set the DISPLAY variable in your terminal session, and then launch whatever application you want to use on your Mac. The application is an X client, so it connects to your desktop, and the X server application there accepts the connection. You probably don't have firewall rules prohibiting outgoing connections, so no adjustments need to be made.

As far as ssh forwarding goes... either it'll work or it won't. If you ssh from your Mac to your Linux box, and the DISPLAY variable is already set, probably like "DISPLAY=localhost:10.0", then X11 forwarding is working. If not, then you can just set the DISPLAY variable to your own IP address, and ignore ssh X11 forwarding.