Re: Odd firewall request

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Andrew Robinson wrote:

> Could someone instruct me on how to configure iptables to allow X-Window
> traffic?
>
> OK, it's an odd request. The reason is this. I have a copy of MacX.
> That's mac-ex, as in X-Windows. It's an X-Windows client for Macintosh
> sold by Apple until about 1998 or so. I'd like to be able to use my Umax
> Mac-clone to access my Red Hat box. I know that in terms of security,
> allowing X-Windows across the network is a Bad Thing. I'm hoping that in
> the short term, doing this on my home network behind the cable router
> firewall will be secure enough. I know that X-Windows can be funneled
> through ssh, but I have no idea how to accomplish that on the Mac side.
> Given that the Mac is in the den and the Linux box is not, it would give
> me "comfortable" access to Linux while sitting next to my wife. She
> would appreciate that. In the longer term, I figure this would give me
> some practical experience with iptables, a topic I don't know anywhere
> near enough about.

If you are behind a firewall why are you running iptables on the Red Hat
box? Why not just disable iptables to start with and then once you have X
forwarding working then worry about iptables if you think it is necessary.

Looks like opening the following ports should do it if you really want to
fwd X:
(tigger pts2) $ grep -i x11 /etc/services
x11             6000/tcp        X               # the X Window System
x11-ssh-offset  6010/tcp                        # SSH X11 forwarding offset

I have never actually tried this so ymmv. There is another way though,
if I were doing this I would get things working without iptables in the way and
then fire up iptables and watch the logs. The logs should tell you exactly
what you need to open.

HTH,

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org