Re: Prism II - wireless

I don't have a PCI card, just a Prism II based pcmcia card, but I think the eth0
orinoco_pci statement in your /etc/modules.conf will auto-load the orinoco (and
hermes, etc) driver

Here is what I did to make it work

1. use redhat network config

Now some explanation.  Add a hardware device and pick the wireless option and then
pick the driver that applies to your card.  Then configure it including adding WEP
keys as appropriate

Now some more details.  I checked into what this was doing since my card wasn't
working (I watched /var/log/messages and found that I had to add my card's manfid to
/etc/pcmcia/config) and I think I have the guts worked out.

1. Edit /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia to have it start on boot (this of course only applies
if you are using a pcmcia card)

2. add a statement to /etc/modules.conf to set your card to a specific ethx (you can
watch /var/log/messages while doing a /sbin/service pcmcia restart to see what card
is being inserted and what driver is being used).  In my case I wanted my builtin
wired nic to be eth0 and my wifi to be eth1 so I have entries for both.  This is
important since default redhat sticks the wifi settings in the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx files and seems to totally ignore the
wireless.opts and related files that the rest of the wifi community uses.

3. as mentioned above, all your settings for the card (including WEP keys) go in the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx file that references your wifi card.  They
seem to have the same settings as would normally go in the wireless.opts file