Re: Netatalk VFAT write permission weirdness

Craig White wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 17:46, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> > I've got a VFAT partition mounted with umask=000. I'm sharing that
> > partition with netatalk to a Mac client running Mac OS 9.04. I find I
> > can save some files with some applications on the partition, but I
> > cannot save other files from other applications. Specifically, I cannot
> > save a tif or jpg file with Photoshop Elements, Color It!, or
> > PhotoStudio Lite. With Photoshop Elements, I get the error message:
> >
> > Could not save "test1.tif" because write access was not granted.
> >
> > The error messages in the other two programs are not so explanatory, but
> > suggest an I/O problem. However, I can create text files on the
> > partition with BBEdit Lite. In fact, I saved the above error message
> > with BBEdit in the same directory as the image files.
> >
> > Can someone explain what the heck is going on here?
> ---
> I can't explain it - IIRC unix permissions are pretty much meaningless
> on VFAT partitions - this may have something to do with it.
>
> Suggest that you create a netatalk/samba share on an ext2/ext3
> filesystem - set the permissions for the user and/or group for that
> location and if you encounter the same problem, try saving it to this
> other Appleshare/SMB Share volume and see if that helps/tells you
> something about filesystem differences.
>
> Also suggest that if you want deeper consideration, you consider showing
> how the VFAT is mounted in /etc/fstab, what user is logging in via
> Samba/Netatalk, perhaps some snippets of logs, upping the 'log level'
> because it probably will tell you what the problem is.

Craig, first, thanks for all the help. OK, lets see if I can list all the
things I tried:

1. I changed the mount umask to 000, leaving the owner and group as root.
2. I created a separate user and group for the VFAT partiions (fatuser and
fatgroup. Sorta sounds like an Austin Powers movie.) I added the netatalk
user, andrew, to the fatgoup group. I tried making the mount umask 002 and
000.
3. I changed the mount owner and group to the netatalk user, andrew. The
umask was 000.
4. There were at least two more setups that were some combination of the
above setups.

With all these setups, I got the same behavior I described in my note.

I did try creating a netatalk share on an ext3 filesystem. I copied the same
files I was testing from the VFAT filesystem to the ext3  filesystem using
"cp -rp". I was able to save the image files with Photoshop Elements. It
worked fine.

So the problem does seem to be specific to the VFAT filesystem. The problem
may be with how netatalk interacts with the VFAT filesystem. The problem may
be with how the Mac handles files. I don't know. The fact that the ext3
filesystem works gives me a workaround. It would still be nice to get the
VFAT filesystem working. It would save me a couple of steps in my digital
photography workflow.

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson