Netatalk VFAT write permission weirdness

I've got a VFAT partition mounted with umask=000. I'm sharing that
partition with netatalk to a Mac client running Mac OS 9.04. I find I
can save some files with some applications on the partition, but I
cannot save other files from other applications. Specifically, I cannot
save a tif or jpg file with Photoshop Elements, Color It!, or
PhotoStudio Lite. With Photoshop Elements, I get the error message:

Could not save "test1.tif" because write access was not granted.

The error messages in the other two programs are not so explanatory, but
suggest an I/O problem. However, I can create text files on the
partition with BBEdit Lite. In fact, I saved the above error message
with BBEdit in the same directory as the image files.

Can someone explain what the heck is going on here?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson