Re: How to statically assign eth devices?

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 15:22, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Brian Johnson wrote:
>
> > I guess I shouldn't really care but .. try
> > 	/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop
> > 	/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start
> >

> > http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2002-December/msg01137.html
>
> ok, this stuff works (during boot) - as long as the eth0 aliased card
> is always present on the machine. (either pci or pcmcia can be
> assigned eth0)
>
> But if eth0 alised card is not present, then other card gets eth0
> (instead of eth1)
>
> I guess this fix will work for the orginal problem posted - where the
> fixed card is pcmcia wireless (eth0) - and the variable one is eth1
> (pci - docking station)

That fix, and the others mentioned, work great as long as:  you don't
change your hardware (such as undock your laptop), or you don't reboot.
:-(

The problem I found is that *before* any rc.5 services get run (boot in
single mode), the buss probing caused both ethernet cards to install
drivers and ip link entries for eth0 and eth1.  The order is dependent
on which bus gets probed first: when docked, the dock's PCI is read
before the laptop's internal pcmcia.  It doesn't matter what aliases
there are in modules.conf.

Anyway, for those with a similar problem, the hack that works for me is
to run a small script before S22pcmcia which rmmod's the two drivers
(they get re-installed by ifup).  I was just hoping someone knew of a
more correct way to handle this problem.

Thanks everyone for your time and interest.

Tom