Re: CD Copy with cdrdao and k3b -- please help?

On July 25, 2003 12:42 am, 012950864@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> It's CD recording again. I learned of the k3b package the other days on the
> list and then, I downloaded and installed the package right away. It looks
> nice to use; but I still have problems with it. Whenever I start it up, k3b
> keeps on reporting "cdrdao does not support ATAPI reader device". I have on

... it sounds to me like you are trying to use the *reader* device to burn
your CD....
> my system a Yamaha CD writer and SONY CDROM drive. As I noticed, the Yamaha
> CD writer is recognized as a SCSI device (perhaps, a result of the module
> ide-scsi); but the SONY CDROM drive is not. And, when I used:
AFAIK the scsi emulation is required for atapi writers to work... I gather
this will change with the upcoming 2.6 kernel...

> $ cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI
>
> It found the SONY drive on 0,1,0.
>
> I, actually, can use burn:/// in Nautilus to copy any data to a CD. But I
> cannot copy a CD to another CD. I tried the GNOME-toaster and k3b but
> failed (probably because of the SONY drive not being recognized/supported
> by cdrdao).

No. If you can use the burn:/// feature, it means that magicdev is running.
*disable* or remove magicdev before using _any other_ cd burning application.
(See the shrike-list archives for further info on the wanton woes and
tribulations of CD burning in RH 9 and its relationship to magicdev.).

Cheers & HTH,

Elton ;-)