Re: 25 'coolest' softwares not present in default RH install

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Brian Ashe wrote:
> On Thursday July 24, 2003 02:06, Christopher Wong wrote:
> > It looks like past performance and architectural criticisms have been
> > disqualified with respect to sendmail. I'd turn the question around: given
> > this we-got-the-last-bug-this-time-honest line of reasoning, is it ever
> > possible to conclude that sendmail is insecure?
>
> So your logic holds that if there are a lot of released security issues over a
> period of time, that the software is of less quality and diminished value
> regardless of how it performs it's normal functions?
>
> So then by this logic we should check to see how many reported security issues
> Sendmail has had and what other components are similar so we can all stop
> using them...

(long post about other software exploits)

The difference is that in the case of sendmail, we have comparable
substitutes with 100% perfect security history, even as sendmail
exploits continue to appear.

But my question remains unanswered:

"given this we-got-the-last-bug-this-time-honest line of reasoning, is it
ever possible to conclude that sendmail is insecure?"

For sendmail defenders, I suspect that the answer is "no", regardless of
the real condition of sendmail.

Chris