Re: 25 'coolest' softwares not present in default RH install

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:53:02AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thursday 24 July 2003 10:18, Scott Helms wrote:
> > I won't comment on PostgreSQL (don't know or care), but MySQL is GPL
> > and there for can't be "less free than GPL":
> >
> > http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html
> > http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/GPL_license.html
> >

> > Please check your facts if you are going to speak "authoritatively"
> > on public lists.
>
> Common mistake.  Mysql USED to be like described, you weren't allowed to
> use it in a commercial application w/out purchasing a commercial
> license.  This changed fairly recently, but a good deal of damage was
> already done.

What I understand is that you can download it and use it under the GPL.
The commercial license is an alternative for those who need to circumvent
the GPL for some reason, such as distributing an application with MySQL
embedded under a non-GPL license.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling D.