Re: 25 'coolest' softwares not present in default RH install

Jonathan,

	I agree to a certain point, but Sendmail's architecture, a monolithic
program that runs as root, is bad.  Thats what makes any slip in
programming as bad.  As for the other popular MTA's (exim, postfix, and
qmail) I think they are pretty thoroughly checked out.  After all Dan
Bernstein offered up his own cash for anyone who could find a security
hole in qmail in 1997 and still no one has collected:

http://cr.yp.to/qmail/guarantee.html

And both Exim and Postfix were able to learn from Sendmail's mistakes.
You have to remember that Sendmail is still stuck providing all of the
kruft that was added in to make this or that feature work when the
Internet was a much friendlier place, and now has to make all of that
work securely in our modern world.

Scott Helms