Re: No Sound in kernel 2.4.20-18.9 - Am I the only one?

Well -- problem solved here.

Updating to the latest kernel (2.4.20-19) solved it for me. Just installed the kernel and rebooted (this is without ALSA -- I couldn't get that to work).

-d

John Haxby wrote:

Chris Rouch wrote:

Does "% alsamixer" show a curses mixer?

If you get as far as seeing the mixer, try unmuting and
setting the level to around 70% for everything.

I think it should be stressed the ALSA mutes everything by default. This isn't the same thing as setting the volume to zero, it's an independent operation. So, when you fire up alsamixer you'll see something like this:

âââââââââââââââââââ[AlsaMixer v1.00 (Press Escape to quit)]ââââ
â Card: ESS Maestro3 PCI â Chip: SigmaTel STAC9721/23 â Item: Master â â ------ ---
â ââââ âMMâ âMMâ ââââ ââââ âMMâ âM
â â â â â â â â â â â â â â â â â â â â â â â â##â â â â â â â â â â â â â â##â â â â â â##â â â â â â â â##â â â â â â##â â â â â â â â##â â â â â â##â â â â â â â â##â â â â â â##â â â â â â â â##â â â â â â##â â â â â â â â##â â â â â â##â â â â â â â â##â â â â â â##â â â â â â â â##â â â â â â##â â â â â â â â##â â â â â â##â â â â â â â â##â â â â â ââââ ââââ ââââ ââââ ââââ ââââ ââ
â 68<>68 0<>0 0<>0 84<>84 0<>0 0<
â < Master >Master M 3D Contr 3D Contr PCM Line C

Well, you won't, that's mine :-). Note that some of the columns have an "M" or two at the top -- those are the mixer channels that are muted. Hit "m" to un-mute them. OSS and the OSS-based mixers don't know about the ALSA mute function. So, when an OSS mixer mutes a channel it just reduces the volume to zero and remembers where to put it back when you unmute it.

jch