Re: Heavy load after 1 week

Hi,
well, I can confirm that the problem is not "on mondays".
I rebooted last wednesday and this monday I had no problems.
I have the same working conditions.

About the other problems,
- 24GB free
- I'm not an open relay, tested in ordb.org and osirusoft.com
- top does not says anything, no heavy CPU usage, no heavy IO usage.
- I'm not rooted as fas as I know. My RH9 is up to date and I have open
 to the outside world only: smtp, http, https, ssh
- rpm --rebuilddb works fine.

Now, the moment of truth is this wednesday, 2 days from now.
Will keep informed.

My last clue is to remake the swap files and use only 1 partition and 1 big file.
Not 2 files of 128MB each.

Thanks
Oliver

dsavage@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Oliver,

Yes, with sustained load averages above 10 you definitely have a problem.
If this really is an "on Mondays" problem, I would strongly suspect your
problem is in one of the utilities called by scripts in /etc/cron.weekly.
Obviously you'd be looking for a script scheduled to start some time
Monday morning.

No, swap file sizes don't have to be multiples of 2^n. Effective with 2.4
kernels, their size has to be equal to at least twice your installed
system RAM -- up to an uncertain point somewhere above 1G. Oracle database
engines are an example. For virtually all end user systems, the 2X rule of
thumb applies.

Are you experiencing any nameservice delays? Is your sendmail.cf set to
block SMTP relaying? Have you run 'rpm --rebuilddb' lately (after deleting
the __db.* files)? Are any of your filesystems above 90% full? Does 'top'
give you any clues? Are you sure you haven't been 'rooted'?

Do let us know when you discover what's causing this.

--Doc Savage
 Fairview Heights, IL