Stuck with passive ftp???

I upgraded my gateway server yesterday from RH 7.3 to 9.  Things went
reasonably well and I've been cleaning up the few rough spots today.  One
of the items I've noticed is that I can no longer access ftp sites (ie
redhat mirror sites) using win98se/IE6 boxes on my internal lan.  This
used to work.

I can access the ftp sites on an XP/IE6 after setting the ftp session to
passive in the tools menu of IE6.  However, those settings don't seem to
be available on the win98se/IE6 boxes.  I also found that it would work if
I used a standalone ftp program on the win98 boxes and told it to use
passive ftp.

I'm using the standard RH 9 distribution with all updates applied.  I
checked the kernel and it seems to have all the netfilter modules
included.  I'm using the same firewall script (Monmotha's) that was used
successfully with RH 7.3.

Any ideas what has changed?

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer