Re: New beta "severn"?

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Audioslave - 7M3 - Live (creed7m3live@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:

I hope that the programs start to be compiled for at least 586 and higher applications. (maybe more efficient programs)

No. Compiling for i586 hurts you on *every* other processor variant.

I can understand all processors being able to understand the i386 instructions. I don't understand why the other variants cannot understand the i586 or newer sets.

If I ever get the computer with the Athlon processor to work with Linux (RHL hopefully, other distros, if they work and RHL doesn't)

The other distro installed and is compiled with i586 optimization. Red Hat wouldn't even get past the disk integrity checks, on that machine.

The binaries are already tuned for i686; they just don't use i686-specific instructions except in some few cases where it actually helps.

I take it that there were a lot of benchmark tests to determine that there was no substantial gains in performance. With experimenting with the kernel a bit. I did see that compiling with MMX didn't lead to any gains. It seemed, but was not timed, to be slower with that particular optimization.

Do the processors have to shift into different modes for each set of instructions? Or are the sets of instructions accessable, equally, with all of the different built-in sets?

If the i686 tuning is really the way to go, but using the i386 instructions, I'm happy with the strategy that Red Hat uses.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new beta cycle.

Jim

Bill

No wonder you're tired! You understood so much today.