Re: Sendmail - allowing external relaying

At 7/11/2003 18:15 -0500, you wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for tweaking security when relaying?
ie. /etc/hosts.allow or deny?

Definitely use SMTP AUTH. Edit your /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and uncomment the following three lines so they look like this:

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl

By "uncomment", I mean make sure that each line ENDS with a "dnl" but DOES NOT BEGIN with one.

After you have done this, recreate your /etc/sendmail.cf file by running the command:

# m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf

Finally, just restart sendmail:

# service sendmail restart

You will now need to make sure that clients who send mail through your server have checked the little box for "My mail server requires authentication" in their mail account properties. All clients who wish to relay must now send the username and password, so you are not an open relay. I do this for 80 sites and about 1,300 people, and it works like a charm.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx