Re: New beta "severn"?

Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Audioslave - 7M3 - Live <creed7m3live@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

I hope that the programs start to be compiled for at least 586 and higher applications. (maybe more efficient programs)

Red Hat has been compiling the packages that matter for specific
architectures for years.  There isn't any point in compiling
_everything_ for anything other than i386; do you think "ls" or "vi"
will run faster somehow?  Also, everything is built optimized for i686
but using only the i386 instruction set.  That way, it is optimized for
higher CPUs (affects memory and instruction layout), but will run on any
x86 CPU.

The kernel and the C and SSL libraries are built for multiple
architectures.  Some of the other performance intensive software (like
some of the 3D code IIRC) builds multiple architecture support into one
package and selects the best one at runtime.

There has been a lot of discussions that the i386 instruction sets can handle some tasks more efficiently, than the newer instruction sets can.

I basically am going on the discussions of people picking a 386 version, instead of getting the 586 or 686 versions of these programs.

Another point to consider is the discussions regarding compiler optimizations. If there was less need to maintain compatibility with the earlier sets. Maybe newer optimizations could be made, to speed up the compilers optimizations.

Your points are good though. How much value is there to speed up or break compatibility with some still used i386 machines.

I have to admit that reading some of the hype on some distributions using i586 or higher processor specs. I have to admit that the fortune program may or may not work faster. I really don't know. I know that it works and doesn't crash. Even though it is from another distro.

Jim

--
The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to
hang yourself.  And then a couple of feet more, just to be sure.