Problem with shutdown after upgrade

I installed RH9 on all of machines(6) rather uneventfully.  I run KDE as a
desktop and on all but my laptop kdm came up as the login manager post install.
On my laptop the gdm came up as my login manager although it still boots into
KDE.  I went into /etc/sysconfig/desktop and added DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE" below
the "DESKTOP=KDE" entry.  The system now boots into KDE using kdm, however, when
I kdm to log out the existing user the system hangs immediately after blanking
the display.  If I select shutdown that appears to work okay.  The only way out
is to kill the power to the laptop.  I realize this is something of a KDE
question, but I think it is really a post-upgrade issue. I able to consistently
repeat it.  If I go back and delete the DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE" gdm becomes the
boot manager and it works fine including the logoff existing user option.

Thanks
Steve