Re: Logwatch Error Messages

Op do 17-07-2003, om 20:12 schreef Kent R. Frazier:
> WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
>      Error: Illegal request...:  1Time(s)
>     I/O error: dev 08:00, sect...:  8Time(s)
>     sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sect...:  8Time(s)
>    hdb: packet command error: error=0x54...:  1Time(s)
>    hdb: packet command error: status=0x51 { D...:  1Time(s)

> If anyone would help me identify the above errors or point me to a
I don't have a solution to your problem, but it always helps
tremendously to copy/paste your error messages into google (the relevant
parts of it)
Googling with packet command error: status=0x51 gives you loads of hits.
You're not the only one baffled about these errors.
But apparently nobody, not even kernel people, know what the cause of
these errors are.

I had similar error messages recently for one of my harddisks, resulting
in frequent hard hangs (after a couple of minutes or so)
In reading throught google, lots of people immediately point to a
failing hard drive (backup quickly!) or faulty cables, or faulty
dma-settings in the BIOS.
I finally was able to solve the hangs by clearing the CMOS-chip on the
mainboard.
I still get these kind of errors now and then but far less frequently,
and the system no longer hangs. So I guess there's not a single answer
for this problem.  Some thing might work for some people, but will fail
for other people.

So, go search google, and read the posts.
Let us know if you've solved your problem.

Tino Meinen