Re: ACPI in kernel-2.6

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, D. D. Brierton wrote:

> So, I'm not quite brave enough to play around with the 2.6 kernel. But
> those of you who are - does ACPI work in it? Two things I'd really like
> to work on my Dell i8200 laptop is sleep (suspend to RAM) - especially
> automatically on closing and opening the lid - and hibernate (suspend to
> disk) with the NVidia drivers. Can anyone fill me in on the status of
> that?

i'm also curious about ACPI support, and my first observation is that
the kernel configuration for this is somewhat confusing.  with the
2.6.0-test1-ac2 source, the top level config menu entry reads

"Power management options (ACPI, APM)"

suggesting you would have to select this to get *either* ACPI
or APM.  however, even if you don't select "Power management support",
you can still select ACPI, which is a submenu entry.  this is
definitely confusing and non-intuitive.

rday