Re: Mouse resuscitation tricks ?

Once upon a time, Nigel Simpson <nigel.simpson@xxxxxxx> said:
> Sometimes when I switch from another system to my RH 9 system my mouse
> goes haywire. It behaves as if one or more mouse buttons are pressed

Sounds like a KVM problem.  When you switch from one system to another
and have a wheel mouse, the KVM switch has to re-init the mouse (and
remember what mode the system used when initializing the mouse in the
first place).  If the system inits the mouse in a way that the KVM
doesn't catch correctly, it can leave the mouse in a confused state (the
PS/2 protocol and the wheel mouse protocol are apparently different
enough to cause lots of problems like you describe).

I have a Cybex KVM switch, and when I switch back and forth, sometimes I
lose the wheel functionality, but the mouse still works (I think the KVM
does some protocol translation).  The KVM switch has a hot-key combo
that re-inits the mouse into or out of wheel mode; if I hit "CTRL CTRL M
W", the mouse is reset into wheel mode and it works (I don't remember
the "out of wheel mode reset", since it defaults to that).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>