Re: Screenshots and movie players (mplayer/xine)

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 07:07, Vij Chau wrote:

> I try to take a screenshot of my desktop using the [prnt screen] button, but
> I never get the movie part. I get a solid blue screen in place of the movie
> in my screenshot. I also tried taking screenshots with GIMP & with gkrellm
> 'shoot' plug-in but none work.

That's because you have configured your movie player to use the Xv
(Xvideo) driver. It is the fastest driver, it effectively "pokes a hole"
in the desktop, and then it's the business of the graphics card to fill
the hole with the image (so no processing takes place in the CPU).
But because of that hole poked in your desktop, the graphics
applications cannot see what's inside of it. The meaning of the blue
rectangle is actually sort of a "no signal" type of thing, just like
with the video recorders. :-)

If you wanna take a screenshot, you have two options:

1. Use the player's native screenshot capabilities
Some of the Xine frontends (not all of them, i think) have an option to
save the current image in a file. So, you just play the movie, pause it
when you find something interesting, then search through the menus, find
and use the screenshot-taking facility.
This way you will only see the movie frame in the shot, not the whole
screen. Plus, it's not supported by all frontends.

2. Temporarily run your movie player with a different video driver
You could run Xine like this:

xine -V XShm some-movie-URL
or
gxine -V XShm some-movie-URL

...and it will use the XShm video driver instead. While much slower than
Xv, it doesn't poke any holes, so you can take as many screenshots as
you wish, even with the whole desktop.
Just remember, after you're done, switch it back to Xv by briefly
running it like this:

xine -V Xv
or
gxine -V Xv

--
Florin Andrei

"Never send a human to do a machine's job." - Agent Smith