Re: Multiple streams of audio working with NO sound server!?

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 14:30, Walter Francis wrote:
> I updated my workstation a few days ago, and can't get artsd to run, so I
> have been stopping XMMS playing, etc, to play mplayer, etc..  Today I
> forgot, and much to my surprize, it worked.
> In fact xmms, mpg123, mplayer, Unreal Tournament, and The Art of Sound will
> all happily play at the same time
> No artsd, no esd..
> How in the world is this possible?  Is this a (NICE) feature I missed about
> RH9, or?

That only means that your apps are using the sound driver (OSS or ALSA)
directly instead of through some sound daemon, and the mixing is
performed at a lower level than in the sound daemon.
It's actually nothing extraordinary. This is how people used to play
music on Linux before the advent of sound daemons.

--
Florin Andrei

"Never send a human to do a machine's job." - Agent Smith