Re: PDA Recommendation

Joe Polk wrote:

The problem with Sharp and other Linux PDA companies is lack of serious presence in the US. The 5500 was sold here, true, but not widely. The clam shells aren't even offered here. I read about all these great linux PDA's but I can't get them and even if I could, many are priced at $499 +. That's insane! It's aggrevating reading things like "more Linux PDA's will come due to the cost savings!" Why not pass that to say...I dunno...the customer!? I use a Clie' T615C. It's great! I want a true Linux-based PDA. I want a Pocket PC equivalent on Linux. the Zaurus 5500 is the only option and I've heard it's fragile, support isn't good, etc. The state of Linux PDA's in the US is a shame. Are there any available elsewhere? I've seen pics of the Exilien 102 but aparently it's the hardware equivalent of vaporware....like most Linux PDA's.

It is, of course, possible to put Linux on an iPAQ. Everything you want to know is at handhelds.org ... A lot of work for Linux on the iPAQ was done at CRL, the DEC, no Compaq, no HP, research labs in Cambridge, Mass.

jch