Re: how to configure web browser to auto authenticate at proxy server

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 09:43, William Hooper wrote:
> Randy Perkins said:
> > hello
> >
> > i am using a proxy server for my internet connection.
> >
> > i would like to avoid having to type in the user/password
> > each time that i initially open the web browser.

> You could set up squid on your machine (secured to only allow connections
> from localhost, of course) and tell it your passworded proxy is the
> parent.
>
> That would allow you to use any web browser you want (lynx, mozilla, konq,
> etc, even wget and curl) without worrying about the password.
>
> --
> William Hooper

thanks for your reply

I will have to check that out.
it would solve all my proxy problesms.

the client computer in question is a celeron 1.5g laptop.
i was first worried the squid would bog it down.
but i looked at my squid proxy, running on a p3 450m,
and it was only using 2% of memory.
of course, no one else uses this proxy but me.

i really would like to use the kde feature kionetrc.
i may have to ask on a kde list.
i saw where someone had asked in the past on a kde list,
but had gotten no response.

there is documentation for the .netrc file,
and i have setup the kionetrc in the same way,
but the kionetrc file has an additional attribute called "type",
and i cant find any docs on it.

thanks

randy