RE: CD-RW blues help

On Friday May 30, 2003 Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 00:57, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>

>> If it's not there...
>>
>>    # mkdir /mnt/cdrom
>>    # chmod 755 /mnt/cdrom
>
> Very minor nitpick:  It's not necessary (or useful) to change the
> permissions on a mount point like that.  The mount point directory will
> take on the permissions of the root directory of the filesystem being
> mounted, regardless of what permissions you give the mount point itself.

Jeremy,

99.99% of the time I would agree with you. In this particular case there
was real uncertainty about the overall condition of his system, and I felt
it was advisable to make absolutely certain all i's were dotted and all
t's crossed. If his permissions matched mine, that was one more error
possibility I could eliminate.  As it turned out, of course, the only
thing he was missing was the /etc/cdrom symlink.

The only real difference between a newbie and an expert is often how long
it takes to find & fix a problem. This time our mail list dialog slowed
things down and made things appear to be progressing slower than they
otherwise would if we were there with him to eyeball his system in person.
The end result was the same. :-)

I wish we could fix more folks' problems as easily as this one.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL