Advanced DNS configuration question....

Long story short I'm trying to configure named on Shrike to resolve local hostnames directly but for hosts it doesn't specifically know about I need named to query an external name server, exactly ONE external name server.

Long version:

I have a Nexland Pro 800 Turbo router to load balance two high speed connections. I have it more for failover than load balancing but that's another story. One of the "issues" with the Nexland supporting two ports is that it insists on being a DNS relay. It is configured with the DNS server IP addresses of both ISPs and will only send queries over WAN 1 to WAN 1's DNS server, and only queries to WAN 2's DNS server over WAN 2. In my particular case my ISPs don't care where the queries come from, but the Nexland router insists on doing the DNS itself and will refuse to "pass through" DNS queries.

So, since I have my own name servers to serve local host names to my local network I need to configure BIND to return local host names but for external host names I need it to send queries to the router itself, otherwise it's not able to resolve external host names.

Any ideas????

-- Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/ greg @ gulik.org