Re: redhat-config-language

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 07:19 am, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2003 22:14:41 -0400, Michael Fratoni wrote:
> > I've found that adding the languages to the "SUPPORTED" line in the
> > /etc/sysconfig/i18n file allows the language to show up in
> > redhat-config-language.
>
> Nevertheless, you would need to add a kde-i18n language-pack for
> KDE, too, in case you want KDE in that new language.

True, however that is easily done. It is also far less trouble than a
reinstall.

> > On the 8.0 machine:
> > $ du -hc /usr/lib/locale/
> > 4.2M    total
> >
> > On the 9 machine:
> > $ du -hc /usr/lib/locale/
> > 65M     total
>
> All of that is just from glibc-common.

Correct, it's the difference in the number of files and overall size that
I was wondering about. It's obvious that on the 8.0 system, only a
partial set of locales is installed.

> > Any ideas on how rpm and glibc-common determine which locales to
> > install?
> >
> > Even on the 8.0 machine, rpm seems to be configured to install all
> > languages:
> > # rpm --showrc | grep lang
> > - -14: _install_langs     all
>
> May be true for the default configuration, but what does the
> installer do? Does it install all or just the chosen languages?

Good question. Looking at my machines, I'd have to guess that under 8.0 it
installed only the selected language. For some reason, the install of 9
included all the locale files.

Thinking on this...
The 8.0 machine hasn't had the glibc upgrade packages installed, the other
machines have. I'm guessing at this point, but I'd bet that the installer
limits the installed locales, but a glibc upgrade would obey the
"_install_langs     all" rpm configuration.

After installing the glibc updates on the 8.0 machine, it would appear
that this is the case..... (now I'll have to go and get the updated cross
over office packages, which is what kept me from upgrading glibc).

$ ls /usr/lib/locale/ | wc -l
    297

$ du -hc /usr/lib/locale/
65M     total

> The way to replace %lang-ified packages would be:
>
>   rpm -Uvh somepackage.rpm \
>       --define '_install_langs de,en,fr,it' --replacepkgs
>
> What %lang-ified packages are left?
> Has this changed much after Red Hat Linux 8.0?

Other than looking at the specfiles, can you think of a way to check?
Given the default of "all" I suppose it doesn't much matter what packages
are %lang-ified, really.

- --
- -Michael

- --