Re: redhat-config-language

On Monday 26 May 2003 08:02 pm, Oliver Schulze L. wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> ops, sorry to hear that :-(
>
> I installed the man pages in spanish but it did not add the language
> to redhat-config-language.
>
> I changed manually the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file and now some
> programs seems works in spanish.

I've actually been fooling around with this myself.

I've found that adding the languages to the "SUPPORTED" line in the
/etc/sysconfig/i18n file allows the language to show up in
redhat-config-language.

Here is that file from a test box I've used to switch between English,
Italian, and Russian:

LANG="it_IT.UTF-8"
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en:it_IT.UTF-8:it_IT:ru_RU.UTF-8:ru_RU"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

On this test machine, selecting a new language in redhat-config-language
and rebooting, console messages appear in the selected language. Starting
X using the icewm window manager, messages appear in the new language as
well. (icewm complains about missing glyphs in Russian, and fails) Other
apps which have NLS support work properly. (Of course, for X, this
assumes the proper fonts are installed.)

I would assume this is all dependent on the proper locale files being
installed. Which raises another question. On several machines, all
installed selecting only English language support, I have a large
difference in the installed locales:
Red Hat 8.0 (Clean workstation install):
$ ls /usr/lib/locale/ | wc -l
     32
(all locale files are en_*)

$ ls /usr/share/locale/ | wc -l
     66

Now, on a Red Hat 9 machine (Clean custom install):
$ ls /usr/lib/locale/ | wc -l
    297
$ ls /usr/share/locale/ | wc -l
     70

On a 7.3 machine (Clean install, probably personal workstation):
$ ls /usr/lib/locale/ | wc -l
    296
$ ls /usr/share/locale/ | wc -l
     66

This is significant in terms of disk usage, as well as the ability to
switch languages. On the 8.0 machine:
$ du -hc /usr/lib/locale/
4.2M    total

On the 9 machine:
$ du -hc /usr/lib/locale/
65M     total

Any ideas on how rpm and glibc-common determine which locales to install?

Even on the 8.0 machine, rpm seems to be configured to install all
languages:
# rpm --showrc | grep lang
- -14: _install_langs     all

- --