Re: rpmbuild speed P3 versus XP?

On Monday 26 May 2003 21:52, you wrote:
> So the only packages that will benefit from CPU-approriate optimizations
> are the kernel, GLibC and OpenSSL?  Just those out of the 1344 packages
> ("rpm -qa | wc -l")  installed on my system?  I assume that is a correct
> paraphrase of your position since those are the only files in the
> ~/en/os/i686 directories on RH's ftp site.

These are the packages that will see large benifits.  Noticable ones,
noticable enough to put in the extra effort in supporting the package across
multiple archs.

> The GCC developers are going to be really upset when they hear how little
> fruit their efforts have produced.

I didn't say it wouldn't make a difference, I said it would make very very
little difference, almost negligable, especially when considering how much
time is spend rebuilding them as opposed to how much real time it'll save
during execution.

> I too rebuilt all my RHL v9 SRPMS files.  Why? Because I want software that
> will more fully utilize the advances made on microprocessors over the past
> twenty years.  I understand that Red Hat must build 80386-compatible
> binaries for distribution because they don't know what hardware the code
> will actually be run on.

Actually, RHL is compiled for i586 and above.  It will not run on a 486, let
alone a 386.

Don't take my word for it, take the word fo those that know a heck of alot
more than I do.  Search the archives, I do believe Mike Harris had a good
deal to say about this issue.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net