Re: Longterm troubleshooting APM at boot

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 05:07, Charles Johnson wrote:

Thanks to folk on the list for help in getting grub set to avoid loading the APM module at boot.

This is the first time I have ever had this sort of kernel troubles with RedHat, or with the motherboard, or some combination.

Is the problem likely to be with the APM code in the kernel?

since RHL8 the kernel will issue APM idle calls to save power. Some
bioses hang if a kernel does that unfortunately. You can disable only this apm feature by using
apm=idle_threshold=100 as grub option instead of apm=off.
If this is the case, please file a bug in bugzilla with the output of
the "dmidecode" program (part of kernel-utils rpm) attached.
Also for several Intel bioses it's worth checking for an updated bios.

Bummer. apm=idle_threshold=100 causes the load of the kernel to hang, too. So, it looks as though I'll need to figure out what to do with dmidecode and then file a bugzilla report.

I checked the Intel site and nothing for this motherboard. The bios is still too new.

Anything I need to do to keep from embarrassing myself too much when I file with bugzilla?

TIA

Charles