Re: Longterm troubleshooting APM at boot

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 05:07, Charles Johnson wrote:
> Thanks to folk on the list for help in getting grub set to avoid loading
> the APM module at boot.
>
> This is the first time I have ever had this sort of kernel troubles with
> RedHat, or with the motherboard, or some combination.
>
> Is the problem likely to be with the APM code in the kernel?

since RHL8 the kernel will issue APM idle calls to save power. Some
bioses hang if a kernel does that unfortunately.
You can disable only this apm feature by using
apm=idle_threshold=100
as grub option instead of apm=off.
If this is the case, please file a bug in bugzilla with the output of
the "dmidecode" program (part of kernel-utils rpm) attached.
Also for several Intel bioses it's worth checking for an updated bios.