RE: kernel-2.4.20-13.9 Breaks Soundblaster Audigy

On 21 May 2003, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 22:22, Atul Chitnis wrote:
> > On 21 May 2003, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> > /dev/hda:
> >  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.50 seconds =256.00 MB/sec
> >  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 18.92 seconds =  3.38 MB/sec
>
> this is WAAAY too low. Should be like 10x that.

I agree. I totally missed that - I ran it, cut and pasted without paying
attention. Must have been some cron process smoking something potent there
the first time round. I just ran it again - here is what I got:

[root@xxxxxx] /etc/sysconfig# hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.52 seconds =246.15 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.58 seconds = 24.81 MB/sec

I must admit though that in both cases I ran it under X, with Joe Satriani
giving xmms something to think about. So this is not exactly a scientific
test ;-)

I turned on 32 bit IO (-c3) but didnt notice any difference - hdparm -Tt
results are identical.

Nope - unless it is something periodical that is killing disk performance,
I'd still think it is something X related. Meaning that what I am
*perceiving* is low performance (jerky window movement, delayed menu
popup, etc.), while the machine may possibly not be running any slower
otherwise. Doh! ;-)

Ah, just to make sure that the problem isn't anything else, I killed xmms
and anything else that could make a difference (but remaining in X) and
ran tests again - no difference. hdparm -Tt gave about 4% more throughput,
but that would have been expected..

Hmmm - maybe its gremlins.

IAC, its not like the machine is unusable (I don't move windows for a
living ;), it's just disconcerting, and so far it seems to be just me
facing this (which is a lousy sample size). I am sure you guys will
stumble across something over time that will make my day. Like maybe Mike
getting new and improved ATI drivers into Xfree86 ;-)

If you want me to run any specific tests or tweaks, let me know.

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 344-0397