Re: can redhat 9 be used with kernel 2.5.x from kernel.org

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 15:04, Randy Perkins wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 06:58, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
>
> > > i am thinking about loading it on a machine to check it out.
> > > never used a beta kernel before ?
> >
> > Then, maybe you should think about twice ;-) There are still problems,
> > rough edges, and so on.
>
> i can patch and install source code, but have never edited the .c files

Ideally, you won't need to manually edit .c or .h files.

> i guess really i am looking for a good working acpi on dell inspiron
> i2650 laptop, and just to check it out

ACPI support is still very inmature and changing frequently in 2.5
kernels. If you want stable ACPI support, I think you should stick with
2.4 kernels.

> i was hoping to be able to dual boot from within the grub menu,
> like what happens when you currently add another kernel.

You can dual boot with no problems. In fact, the modutils package
(either the one at Red Hat Rawhide, or the one from Rusty Russell) is
able to automatically detected whether you're running a 2.4 or a 2.5
kernel.

> is this possible, or do i need to do a complete install in its own
> partition

You can dual boot on the same partition, just as another 2.4 kernel. The
only requisite is the updated "modutils" package. The module format was
changed at 2.5.48.