RE: Great new kernel 2.4.20-13.9!

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 00:11, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 19:13, Gerry Tool wrote:
>
> > Then, as root, just type
> >
> > prelink -aRv
> >
> > and wait for it to finish in the terminal window.  It takes a while to
> > start, don't give up.
>
> So what exactly does this prelinking do?  I've seen everyone talk about
> it, but haven't exactly seen what it is suppose to do.  Going to google
> for it, but thought might get someone to explain in english hehe.

>From the man page - first description paragraph.

prelink is a program which modifies ELF shared libraries and ELF
dynamically linked binaries, so that the time which dynamic linker needs
for their relocation at startup significantly decreases and also due to
fewer relocations the run-time memory consumption decreases too
(especially number of unshareable pages). Such prelinking information is
only used if all its dependant libraries have not changed since
prelinking, otherwise programs are relocated normally.

Gerry