Re: OT: SCO targets Linux customers

At 02:23 5/15/2003 -0400, you wrote:
On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 21:38, Werner Puschitz wrote:
> Is there anyone on this list whose employer got a letter from SCO?
>
> The article at news.com says that letters were sent to about 1,500 of the
> world's largest corporations warning them that they could be liable. This
> could make CEOs very nervous.
> http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-1001609.html?tag=fd_top

This was a very bold move on the part of SCO. What I'm wondering is
this: If SCO's claims are proved in court to be bogus, could RedHat,
SuSE, Mandrake, etc, sue SCO for any loss (or potential loss) to their
business?

Yes for two reasons:

1. SCO can indeed cause loss of business and loss of profits to those companies with this move. If their claims are proven to be bogus, then a lawsuit for fraudulent claims, libel, damages, etc. would be valid and viable (and probably successful).

2. Regardless of merit, in the USA anyone sues anyone else for anything in any circumstance and for any reason, and often they win.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx