Re: Rescue mode w/ PCMCIA CDROM

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Tammy Fox wrote:

>On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 11:22:34PM -0700, Oisin C. Feeley wrote:
>>
>> I was trying to rescue a Red Hat 7.3 laptop using a Red Hat 9 CD#1.
>> Should this be possible?
>>
>> If I try to boot into rescue mode using CD#1 on a PCMCIA CDROM the boot
>> process gets as far as allowing language selection and then asks for the
>> location of the rescue image.  If I select CDROM then it fails to find
>> the device.

<snip>

> It is asking for a location of a valid installation tree:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide
> /s1-rescuemode-boot.html>
>
> Definition of installation tree:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide
> /s1-begininstall-net.html

Thanks Tammy, the problem is that the laptop is non-networked and has a
PCMCIA CD-ROM.  So, any install tree has to come from CD#1.  When I
select CD-ROM as the location of the rescue image the "no device found"
problem occurs.

I was guessing that this was due to the kernel included in isolinux/ not
being patched for PCMCIA support in the way that A. van der Ven's
2.4.20-9.5 is.   So I copied 2.4.20-9.5 over isolinux/vmlinuz and
rebuilt the entire CD#1 using mkisofs

This new CD#1 will get as far as trying to load the initrd and then
giving up with a kernel panic.

pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory 132K freed
Kernel panic: no init found.  Try passing init=option to kernel

Am I totally missing your point?  Is this attempt to build a CD#1 with
an updated kernel completely flawed.  I am really at sea here and would
appreciate anyone's advice.  I've looked at Tony Nugent's "Kickstart
Customization" guide and the RH-CD-Mini-HOWTO, which both appear to deal
with pre-isolinux versions of RH.

Thanks,
Oisin Feeley