Re: Remote management capabilities in Shrike?

Once upon a time, Gregory Gulik <greg@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> As the server sits on a rack with often nobody around to reboot it if
> necessary I was wondering what remote management capabilities are
> available in Shrike???

For starters, find a good system board with serial console support in
the BIOS.

> Can the console be attached to a serial port for example?

If you do a serial (text) install, you'll automatically get a getty
started on the serial port at boot.  Otherwise, you'll want:

S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0 115200 vt102

in /etc/inittab (and make sure that you boot to runlevel 3).  You may
want to comment out the mingetty lines to get rid of VGA logins.  Then
you'll want to add "console=ttyS0,115200" to your "kernel" line(s) in
/boot/grub/grub.conf and have:

serial --unit=0 --speed=115200
terminal --timeout=0 serial

in there as well.

You probably also want to add "ttyS0" to /etc/securetty so you can log
in directly as root if needed.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>