Re: starting and stopping samba

Shane C Branch said:
> Whenever I stop the smb server (service smb stop) smbd reports stopping
> successfully, but nmbd fails. When I try to get status on nmbd or try to
> stop
> nmbd it tells me there is no such service.

Yes this is true.  You know that it tries to stop when doing a "service
smb stop", doesn't it stand to reason that "service smb start" and
"service smb status" would also handle nmb?

> Also, many times when I try to start samba, the system does not start nmbd
> on
> the first attempt, I have to repeat the command to get nmbd to start.
>
> What do I need to do to fix this?

Lock at the log file and see why it is failing.  It is in "/var/log/samba/"

> I want smb started at boot, and if nmbd
> is
> needed for samba to work correctly, then I want it to start|stop|restart
> as
> samba goes.

Which is why they are part of the same script used for the smb service.

--
William Hooper