Re: Pick one: blender

Op zo 11-05-2003, om 15:02 schreef Robert P. J. Day:
> On 11 May 2003, Tino Meinen wrote:
>
> > > There are RH9  rpm's for blender (and loads of other apps) available to
> > > install for anyone who feels like it.
>
> > Do I understand correctly that you opt for a minimalistic distribution
> > where people can choose to install the applications they want later on?
>
> i think that's a good philosophy.  red hat should not be responsible
> for satisfying every user's desire for their favorite tool.
No, obviously they can't do that, they have to choose a largest common
factor.

> also, i might be wrong, but if red hat bundles an app with their
> distro, then they become responsible for Q/A for that app, for
> accepting bug reports for it via bugzilla, and so on.
I actually don't know how far the responsibility of a distributor goes.
But I don't understand your meaning with this argument? A distributor
should adhere to a minimalistic philosofy because they become
responsible for the applications they ship?

As an aside, Blender actually has great quality, and has few bugs.
Certainly less bugs than some other applications currently shipped with
Red Hat 9. Blender has been around for quite a few years and during this
time has seen some thourough testing and use in production environments.

> at some point, RH can reasonably be expected to draw the line.
Well the fairy asked to pick one from the current distro which had to go
in order to get this one in.
Blender is also quite small (well, comparitavely) about 3,5 Mb.
Compare that for instance to the Gimp which weighs in more than 8 Mb.

> (theoretically, i would think that, in the extreme, any distro
> should fit on a single DVD, no?)
Perhaps.
Some DVDs can be played on both sides:-)

--Tino Meinen