Re: Increasing Memory Usage

I think Rigo did a fairly good job already trying to explain this and giving some good links on the topic. What it boils down to in short is:

Linux keeps all the stuff it has read in cache memory. However once it needs to, it can reclaim that memory (just discard the cache, it is nothing vital!) instantly and use it for other things.

It will use swap memory for things that don't get used. ie a app that does nothing or some bitmaps a app loaded into memory but never used. By swaping this to disk it free's more memory for cache, and allows it to be used for more efficientcy of the system.

As your 'free' output shows, your actually 'using' 124Mb of ram, and have about 400Mb still available.

Jeff Grossman wrote:
I never knew about the "free" command.  But, I still don't understand
how the system can start only using about 100M and now it is using
almost all of the built in memory.  And starting to use swap space.

             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:        513852     488336      25516          0     137064
227048
-/+ buffers/cache:     124224     389628
Swap:       650552       6708     643844

Thanks,
Jeff

Chris Chabot <chabotc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ps, a better way to check 'actual' memory usage is with 'free', it will
tell you what your usage is (so without counting buffers & cache). That
number will still include some libraries that are kept in memory and
inode cache's, but the number is a whole lot closer to the actual 'free
memory'

Rigoberto de la Cruz wrote:

--- Jeff Grossman <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have
noticed that the memory usage keeps going up.  I am
using this machine
as a server so it never shutdowns, and reboots very
rarely.  When I do
reboot it, it is using about 100M of memory out of
512M.  This is
according to TOP.  Currently the machine has been up
for 21 minutes
and the memory usage is already at 147M.  How can I
figure out what is
taking the memory?

linux uses memory as cache. just don't worry about it
unless you are having slowdowns. You don't have to
worry about it because the memory is going to be freed
when you need it.