Consistent kernel panics running updatedb

I can now "reliably" get my Shrike machine to kernel panic when running the
stock /etc/crond.daily/slocate.cron script.  This was discovered after the
machine began crashing at 04:02:02 *every* night.  The script:

#!/bin/sh
renice +19 -p $$ >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/bin/updatedb -f "nfs,smbfs,ncpfs,proc,devpts" -e
"/tmp,/var/tmp,/usr/tmp,/afs,/net"

This is but the latest in a fairly unbelievable series of problems I have had
with RH9.  This particular problem actually began in the early days of the
installation, but seems to have worsened over time, that is, initially it would
crash about once per week running updatedb, now it crashes every night (as of
now I no longer run crond, so the problem has been temporarily stayed).

As a result of one of the crashes the machine required manually running fsck on
both major partitions (/ and /home) after it was power-cycled.  I'm running ext3.

This machine is about two years old, and is built with fairly high end components:

AMD Athlon 1100
Asus KT133 Motherboard
768M Crucial ECC memory
Matrox Millennium II
Adaptec 29160N SCSI adapter
Seagate Cheetah X15 18GB SCSI-3 Hard Drive
Pioneer 12X SCSI DVD
Yamaha 8/4/24 SCSI CDR
Sound Blaster X-Gamer? 5.1
Intel 10/100 NIC

This computer has pretty much never crashed in the two years prior to Red Hat 9
being released.  It ran RH8 without a reboot for six months, being used everyday
 as a developer workstation.  I generally regard the system as being very stable.

All instability issues started when RH9 was installed.  I have experienced
similar stability issues another RH9 machine that also worked perfectly with
RH8.   If anyone has any ideas as to what might be the problem here I'd greatly
appreciate hearing about them.

Will RedHat's 90-day installation support cover these issues if I were to
purchase a retail box of the software and install it?

Best regards
--Tod Liebeck